Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Leave it alone!!

I have always been very vocally anti circumcision. You could say it's a soapbox issue of mine (one of many!). Anyway this came up in a thread. Funny, and a good way to bring up the issue I guess.
It's a regular shitfight thread on essential baby, which I mostly stay clear of since it's always the same people fighting about the same thing.. It's one issue I really don't get tbh. I mean I don't understand the choice to artificially feed a baby or to have a baby extracted by elective cesaerian but I do understand the social pressures and lack of support that lead to that decision.
But this? Now why on earth would a person choose to remove a functioning part of their sons' genetalia?? Why on earth does our society give them that choice? IT'S NOT THEIR PENIS!!! That is the answer to any stupid arguments anyone comes up with...
'But I want him to look like Daddy'. Seriously WFT??? That is kind of sick! He might have blonde hair and Daddy had black hair, shall we dye it? Will he be lining his penis up next to Daddy's at Christmas dinners when he's 35? I don't think so! Plus it's not your penis!!
'they might have to get it removed later when it gets infected and it'll hurt more then'. Now there are a few things wrong with that. Well he might need his tonsils out later. In fact how about on the way out we remove his tonsils, adenoids, wisdom teeth, appendix...oh how about nails, hang nails are really annoying and can get infected! What about potential skin cancer? Shall we remove all his skin? I could go on.... I love the good old newborns don't feel pain argument. Sorry but if you think that for a second you are a moron. As for remembering it, well my 4 year old remembers his vacuum extraction so there blows that theory. Plus it's not you penis!! (are you seeing a theme?)
'it'll prevent HIV' A new argument that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Actually it won't prevent HIV although it will decrease the chance of getting it. Doesn't decrease the chance of getting the chick pregnant. And nothing prevents HIV like a condom! I'll spend my efforts on teaching safe sex rather that hacking off a body part thanks! It also is thought to decrease penile cancer which is pretty bloody rare anyway. But yet again, not mine, not my decision to make!
Now this is my favourite stupid reason to mutilate your sons...'he'll play with himself less' ROFLMAO!!! I nearly wet my pants when I read that argument on a forum. Firstly, is it your role to stop your son masturbating? Secondly even if it is, why are you losing sleep over it?? why would you even care. Not like my uncircumcised boys walk about with their hands down their pants or anything. Actually I'd really like to see a controlled randomised trial on this topic. Let me predict 100% of both groups will be at themselves :P It's what boys do! Actually my girl is pretty good at it as well, shall I look into having her clitoris removed? Ah don't think so, NOT MINE!!
Then of course there is the religious reasons. I used to sympathise with them..well they have no choice right? Ah wrong! Of course they do. It's still a crap reason, for some fictitious 'god'? WTF does their son's foreskin have to do with their religious beliefs? (can you tell I'm in a atheist phase? Blame Mark, he's always trying to convince me :P). If your son wants to remove his foreskin to appease some fairy tale character well he is well within his rights, because it's HIS PENIS!

You know in the future I really believe they will talk of this mutilation as the abuse we thrust upon our sons. Holding my baby I can truly not understand how someone can see a sweet defenceless boy and think his body is anything less than absolutely perfect.
So anyhow if you are thinking about doing this to your boy just don't!!! It's not your to do anything with, leave it alone!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are just right in every way!!

Richard said...

Holding my baby I can truly not understand how someone can see a sweet defenceless boy and think his body is anything less than absolutely perfect.

That's what I never understood. I would bend over backwards to stop Savannah feeling any pain, and when she does get hurt, it hurts me just as much. I honestly can't get my head about the thought of inflicting unnecessary pain on her when she was newborn... I can't imagine it now.

(( I have an issue with baby girls having their ears pierced too... ))

Anonymous said...

Funny, I have not long had this argument (a rather heated argument) with a family member. She is all for it, mind you, she has two girls. And her argument was, 'it's only a bit of skin, they don't remember it'...what crap! Another family member had her son done 'so he was like Dad' and because they didn't want him to be different and outcast at school...huh???? I'm with you Sam...it's not our penis!!! When I held Dylan for the first time, all I wanted to do was love and protect him, not inflict pain on him.

testingblogsettings said...

*applause*